Friday, April 01, 2005

Safety in Numbers


Brought to you by my deepening knowledge of my new office.


I'm slowly learning my way around at the faith-based organization (FBO) I've gone to work for. It occupies most or all of one floor and half of another in a 20-storey building. I'm already aware of the Barnes & Noble, the Panera, the haircut place, the ATM, and the Izzy's Ice Cream Parlor housed on the ground floor. Other goods and services are available on the skyway level, too. I'll keep you posted as I travel this undiscovered country.


Bathrooms: 3 per gender


Bathroom stalls: 11 per gender


Lunchrooms/kitchenettes: 1 large, 3 small


Conference rooms: 10, with geographical names like Great Plains Room or Pacific Northwest Room


Coke machines: 2


Pepsi machines: who cares?


Vending machines: at least 6


Vending machines with ice cream: 0


Bike storage areas: 1


Quiet rooms: 1 (for use if you need privacy for something; complete with comfy chair and a doctor's scale)


Recovery rooms: 1 (for use if you feel ill on the job; includes a cot with a bucket discretely tucked away beneath it)


Learning zones: 2 (for online education modules, etc.)


Mini-libraries: about 5
Meetings attended in first week of work: 12


Meetings scheduled for next week (so far): 2 meetings, 2 training sessions, a lunch, and an informal lunchtime presentation that's being given by a bigwig, so it's pretty much mandatory. 4 of these will occur on Monday.


Pages in user's manual for phone and phone software: 54 (Yes, separate software for phone calls. Egad!)


Guys with hunting rifles: 0


Snakes: 0


Today around the world: April is National Poetry Month, and April 1 is April Fool's Day. I thought about showing up back at Media HQ and saying, "I didn't really quit! April Fool! But thanks for the cake and the lovely parting gifts!" But I didn't.


Or did I?


Don't forget to set your clocks ahead early Sunday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home