Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Worked Up


Brought to you by my new job. The update you've all been waiting for! My brain's a-buggin', man. But in a good way.


My last day at Media HQ dragged/sped by. People dropped by all morning to wish me well. The Soup Group took me to Applebee's for an appetizer blowout, as promised, and many pledges were made to schedule a happy hour downtown soon. The cake fete was held in the afternoon, and a lot more people showed up than I expected to see. They got me a cake -- chocolate, of course, with OMGrich mousse frosting -- and had it decorated. On the top was a chick in a Chinese pajamas/T'ai Chi outfit doing a kick, with a thought balloon above her head that contained a yin/yang symbol. The inscription read, "Kim -- congrats on a kick-ass job!" How cool is that?


I also received two gifts. The serious gift was a black messenger bag from the Jack Spade line, the manly side of Kate Spade. It's perfect size for carrying on the train with a book and my lunch in it, which I did today. Numerous pockets and zippers. I'm a huge sucker for pockets and zippers. This is, as El Queso Grande pointed out, probably the closest I'll ever come to owning a Kate Spade bag. I love it.


The lighthearted gift was a trade show tote bag labeled "Kim's Crisis Kit." It contained some power bars for when I get lost in the skyways downtown, along with some trinkets from the trade show, some Tibetan prayer flags, a fork whose handle contains a ball-point pen, a free T-shirt and some product samples from a fish oil vendor, and $20 cash for emergencies. I departed MHQ on a happy/sad note.


Then suddenly it was Monday again and I set off on the train for my new job. I've got to tell you, I LOVE riding the train. Nothing to do but sit back and read for half an hour while somebody else does the driving. Oh yeah.


People in my new department seem really nice. Three of us newbies started this week, and each of us has been assigned a buddy to help us get oriented and find things. Our buddies took us out to lunch that first day, just a 3-minute walk to a great pub called the Newsroom, and everyone was easy to visit with. I even remembered most of their names. Also, my new boss has recommended an ace hair stylist — in a salon that's in our very building! And the farmers' market, which means fresh produce on the Mall every Thursday morning, starts soon. I already love working downtown.


I've had a couple nice lunchtime outings in the skyways already, too. With the skyways, basically, the whole city becomes a mall. The walkways link actual shopping/service centers with one another, and since they're lined with shops, they are an interconnected series long skinny mall themselves.


Today, for instance, I went to Target and bought myself a tiny potted ivy for the shelf above my monitor. I'm hoping it will become large and sprawling. I almost bought one that was already large and sprawling but decided not to spend the cash. I still might bring one or two of my smaller plants from home if I can talk myself into schlepping them on the train.


Also, my new company sells movie tickets to employees at a steep discount. Since there's at least one theater within a few blocks of the building. I may actually see a movie on the big screen again!


I know that's a completely random collection of thoughts, but it's all I can muster right now. My brain is full. As I become less bewildered by all the new stuff, I promise I'll bring you the highlights. For now, let's just say good night.


Today around the world: March 30 is Spiritual Baptist Liberation Shouter Day in Trinidad & Tobago. Please do not ask me to explain. I may be spiritual and liberated and inclined to shout, but I'm no Baptist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home