Friday, January 28, 2005

01/28/05’s illustrious band:

My Pal Al


Brought to you by my pal Al.


You know all the plumbing/sewer problems I've been having lately? Yes, more than you want to, I'm sure. Well, they're all solved now, thanks to my pal Al. Al is a plumbing and sewer professional, and he also happens to be my next-door neighbor. When I call the company he works for, I request him by name, and he makes my house his last stop of the day so he can just go home afterward. Although he's about 6'2" and at least 210 lbs, he can fold himself into my cramped equipment nook like human origami. He works quickly and efficiently, he cleans up after himself, and he's nice to my cats. He also routinely adjusts the work order to my financial advantage -- but don't tell his boss.


As if that weren't excellence enough, tonight he called me and said, "I think I've figured out your problem. I was discussing it with my wife, and we remembered that two owners ago, there was such-and-such a setup in the house . . ." Long story short, he found the trickle of water that was moving so slowly down the pipes that it had time to freeze. He redirected the drip (a natural function of the furnace) to a bucket (which he supplied) that I'll have to empty periodically. He's had other clients with the same situation, and this ended their troubles, so he's pretty sure it will work for me. And if Al recommends it, I'm happy to do it. A bucket! So simple!


Incidentally, and apropos of nothing, Al has a treehouse. Yeah. I heard some construction next door last summer and peeped over the fence, and Al was building a treehouse. I'm not sure what it's for; there's not much to see in the suburban neighborhood, even from 15 feet off the ground. The structure appears to be barely larger than a phone booth -- remember phone booths? -- but solid. I'm thinking of baking him some cookies when the weather gets nicer in hopes of getting invited up the tree. Meanwhile, his wife Jayne frequently plies my cats with homegrown catnip. They're just about the nicest sort of neighbors you could hope to have. Stop by sometime and I'll introduce you.


Today around the world: January 28 is Democracy Day in Rwanda. Rock the vote!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home