Thursday, January 20, 2005

01/20/05’s illustrious band:

Nerd Power


Brought to you by the American Nerd Association.


Know how I go to DorkFest -- excuse me, MarsCon -- every March to commune with other science fiction/fantasy fans? This year a friend of mine has suggested that I take part in a panel discussion on what it means to be a nerd in America today. I'm such a nerd that the prospect actually appeals to me. Not for the opportunity to scam hot guys; this is a sci-fi con we're talking about. But I wouldn't mind finding out what other socially inept dorks have to say about their lot in life.


There can be no doubt of my qualifications; I spent my first 15 minutes in the office yesterday discussing the relative merits of the classic Star Trek movies, complete with references to directors, actors, TV episodes, and obscure characters. (Wrath of Khan rules!) We segued into X-Files territory, and it was the same thing. Do you know who the Lone Gunmen are? I do. Did you know that one of them -- Dean Haglund, who played power nerd Ringo Langly -- showed up on Tim Allen's comedy series Home Improvement? I did.


And one Halloween, when I was just a little nerd, but more than a little nerdy, I dressed as Princess Leia because my hair was long enough to form her signature hair donuts. OK, let's be honest: My hair was long enough for Mother Media to form it into donuts. I just sat there in my white gown and complained that she was pulling it too tight.


I am so qualified for a nerd seminar. I need to get in touch with chief nerd Dan and see if this thing is happening for real. I'll let you know.


And would you please let me know? If you have any ideas you'd like to see addressed in BND, pass them along, whether it's a catchy word, a phrase, a topic, or a whole essay. Guest bloggers welcome. No idea too small.


Today around the world: January 20 is Inauguration Day in the U.S. Let's start GWB's second term off right with a big "no comment" on the cheese dip being served at one of the many inauguration parties.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home