Monday, February 24, 2003

02/23/03’s illustrious band:

Whole Life Business


Brought to you by Master T.T. Liang in his book, T’ai Chi Ch’uan for Health and Self-Defense. “This is whole life business, this T'ai-Chi,” he writes. “If you get addicted to it, you cannot get rid of it.”


Happy Year of the Sheep, everybody! We held the T’ai Chi school’s annual Chinese New Year celebration and demonstration this past weekend. It was an extra-special event this year, being the 10th anniversary of the school in its present incarnation with its present leaders. We had a proper wingding complete with show-off moments by students, teachers and a world-renowned grandmaster, speeches, awards, presentations, acknowledgements, announcements, flowers, and a huge banquet that lasted until nearly midnight. We students did our teachers proud in front of some of their teachers, which is one of the best gifts we could give them. A splendid time was had by all.


Master Liang was right, this T’ai Chi is whole life business. I have no intention of forfeiting my habit. Over the past five years, it’s grown from being something I did in my spare time, scheduled around other things, to being THE thing I do in my spare time, around which other things are scheduled. In fact, I’ve recently been accused (by a jilted suitor) of being “consumed” by martial arts. Well, what the heck. I can think of worse hobbies. It’s great fun and keeps me off the streets at night. I’m looking forward to another good year.


E-mail the Media Sensation: jugglernaut@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home