Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Alasogram

It's nearly July 4 again, which means, to all right-thinking people, that's it's time for CONvergence. CONvergence is an annual sci-fi/fantasy con(vention) held just down the road from Sensational Acres. Geek goddess/compulsive blogger that I am, I attend periodically and write about it afterward. I'm going this weekend; stay tuned.


Since I came to love sci-fi and fantasy through the written word, I always make time at cons to sit in on a few writers' panels. Here's what I learned at one three years ago.


Alasogram was originally posted: 07/17/02



Brought to you by CONvergence writing panelist and aspiring author Melinda Kimberly.


An alasogram is a "This is a good story but we just can't use it right now" rejection letter sent by an editor to a writer. It's the publishing world's version of "It's not you, it's me:" gently worded, but still a turn-down. "Alas, your story is too long for our format." "Alas, you write hard sci-fi and we only publish fantasy." "Alas, our editorial calendar is filled for the next nine decades. It's a tragedy that we cannot accept your work." Alas, alas.


One of the rules of the writing game is that the writer should keep submitting his or her work for publication, no matter how many alasograms come back. There's always that story of so-and-so who got 75 rejections on that first novel before making the Big Sale, so hang in there, tiger. Editors and publishers, for their part, are supposed to encourage aspiring writers to keep sending stuff in, since they're always eager to discover Fresh New Talent.


Does this sound to anyone else like deciding to flirt only with people you know are already married? Entering the writing game means volunteering to get rejected repeatedly for reasons that have nothing to do with your own merit. Sure, there's that one-in-a-million chance that Mr. Right will recognize your inner beauty and leave his wife for you. But most of the time, you're not on his radar. So why put yourself through it?


Writers ask themselves and one another this question all the time, and so far I haven't heard a good answer. Most say they're demonstrating faith in themselves by sending out the same piece over and over again, because they just know it will get picked up eventually. In the meantime, they're comfortably sure of how the game will play out. A few admit they're seeking approval from the most distant sources possible, and the more the editor plays hard to get, the more the writer wants to court her. It's a huge validation to finally receive that acceptance.


But these are just answers. I don't think they're especially good answers. I have one foot on each side of the fence myself and I still don't know. As an editor, I respond to letters that come in from readers. ("Alas, while your story of successful weight loss is a good one, we've just run six in a row and don't need another right now.") As a writer, I present each article like a cat showing off her latest kill, knowing that my words will be edited and my photo plans rearranged. And I wouldn't have it any other way.


Are writer-types simply a twisted breed, or am I on the cusp of uncovering a fundamental lynchpin of human nature here?



Today around the world: June 29 is St. Peter & St. Paul Day. Rob one, pay the other.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Davis said...

I've always managed to view the alasograms as positive feedback, if nothing else.

Deep down I know it's just a cop out but I try to remain positive for as long as I possibly can!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home