Thursday, May 26, 2005

Vegemite Rules


Brought to you by, coincidentally enough,vegemiterules, author of the Australian blog a day in the life of vegemite in a jar. (Vegemite, in case you're wondering, is a by-product of brewing that's a great source of B vitamins. It's a dark brown, salty paste used mainly as a spread on sandwiches and toast, its strong flavo(u)r sometimes mitigated with cheese. Tough to find outside Australia and New Zealand.)
Replying, on behalf of Down Under's dominant condiment, to my recent remarks concerning peanut butter, Veg writes:


G'day from the landownunda!


Now I have to take you to task here (wink wink wink), Peanut Butter, yes is my 1st cousin, smooth or crunchy, whatever way you like it, I prefer smooth and about an inch thick on fresh bread, Nutella, well, what can I say, sorry YUK, I do not include that in my family.


I am a very famous spread in Australia, actually I am an Icon, every Aussie, no matter where they are, always takes a jar of Vegemite with them, no matter what.


I guarantee you that there are no other blogs in the world of blogging that have devoted their entire being to a spread like me.


No-one would dare make a vegemite and jelly sandwich, what is with peanut butter having to have a partner to make a sandwich that everyone enjoys, I am capable of standing on my own, I share my sandwich with NO-one, or I might on the occasion share it with cheese, a good cheese and vegemite sandwich is delicious.


Spreads come and go, but "vegemite" always "rules."


Have enjoyed my visit, I was just passing and saw your comment about my cousin Peanut Butter, could not stop myself, had to say something.


Thanks, Veg! This is BND's first official correspondence with a foodstuff. Which of course raises this question: If you were a food, what would you be?


Today around the world: May 26 is Prince Fredrik's birthday in Denmark. If you were Prince Fredrik's birthday cake . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Great post. I would be a buttertart:

Canadian
A special treat
And anything with the word tart in it must be a good thing, yes?

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home