Sunday, September 12, 2004

09/11/04’s illustrious band:

Second Showing


Brought to you by the cinematic pearls of the 1980s.


Here’s part 2 of my list of movie memories from the Me Decade.



  • Highlander. It’s a movie about immortal warriors who survive into the present day to wage flashy sword battles as they try to behead each other. Spawned a TV series and more fanfic than you can shake a battleaxe at.
  • Dangerous Liaisons. We loved this movie because, since it involved French people, we were allowed to watch it in French class in place of our regular lessons for a week or so.
  • A Fish Called Wanda. John Cleese + Kevin Kline (who won a 1989 Best Supporting Actor award for it) = fabulous!
  • Real Genius. Ranking ahead of Revenge of the Nerds, RG is my all-time favorite nerd-power movie ever. Val Kilmer, in one of his first starring roles, proves that it’s possible to be both smart and fun. He was a role model for us all.
  • Ladyhawke. Magic, swords, a love story, and a pretty horsie. What’s not to like?
  • Coming to America. This one starred Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall back when they were still funny.
  • Mr. Mom. Remember when the idea of a man caring for his own children was so laughable you could make a blockbuster comedy out of it?
  • Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Dude! This is like the only movie in which I ever enjoyed Keanu Reeves’s “acting,” dude. And 15 years later, I still say “dude” way too much . . . dude.
  • Dirty Dancing. Patrick Swayze’s finest hour: lots of shirtless gyrating, which he’s good at, and not a lot of talking, which he ain’t so good at.
  • The World According to Garp. Mork (Robin Williams) in a serious dramatic role? No way!
  • Flashdance. While I’ve never actually watched this movie, I did fall victim to some the many fashion trends it spawned, most notably headbands and legwarmers. All I can say now is . . . ugh!
  • Tron. The first movie/video game crossover!
  • Johnny Dangerously. Most famous for teaching us such nerf curses as “farging” and “bastige,” much to our parents’ dismay.
  • Short Circuit. This is the movie our gang went to see the first night one of our number played host to a Japanese foreign exchange student. The poor girl, no doubt jetlagged out of her mind, had been packed halfway across the world and dumped on a sheep ranch in the middle of nowhere, only to be crammed into a car with half a dozen other teenagers and sent to this dumbass flick. What a terrible first impression of America that day must have made. Madoka, we apologize.
  • Dune. I saw this sci-fi epic -- the David Lynch version, no less -- without having first read the novel. Bad idea. But the book has since become one of my favorites.
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street. I didn’t see this horror classic until 2003, but it made a huge impression on me nonetheless. Johnny Depp in a half-shirt? I had nightmares for weeks!
  • Blame it on Rio. The first R-rated movie I ever saw. I was 14 and snuck into it with my 17-year-old boyfriend, the rednecked and pungent Darron. All I remember about the movie is being terrified that I’d be carded and caught and that the theater manager would call my parents. I kind of which that had happened; maybe it would have dissuaded me from dating Darron for as long as I did.
  • The January Man. A seriously odd, but interesting, murder mystery starring the marvelous (and very tall) Kevin Kline.

Today around the world: September 11 is . . . you know.


E-mail the Media Sensation: BandNameoftheDay@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home