Monday, February 09, 2004

02/09/04’s illustrious band:

Monkey Biz


Brought to you by the Year of the Monkey.


If your birthday this year is a multiple of 12, you’re a monkey, according to the Chinese zodiac. Click here for a brief description of the monkey personality. It fits the monkeys I know pretty well. You “erratic geniuses” know who you are.


And so the Year of the Monkey has begun. The T’ai Chi studio where I study held its annual Chinese New Year demonstration and banquet over the weekend, where a good time was had by all. I took part in a couple exhibition routines that involved boxing and self-defense techniques. My partners and I actually struck each other -- in a very controlled manner, of course -- and, in a few cases, smote one another to the floor -- again, in a controlled and practiced manner. In other words: Ooh! Aah!


The boxing bit in particular was so . . . impressive, I guess, that it lead one of my instructors to remark to the crowd, “I’d be really careful buying that girl a drink at a bar.” This should answer any questions you may have had about why I have a tough time getting dates: Even my kung fu instructor thinks I’m scary enough that the public needs to be warned.


Aside from that, it was a fun night. I got to see some great displays of martial skill and to visit with friends both old and new. I ate way too much at the banquet, as usual, and got home after midnight smelling of incense and soy sauce. Best dinner-and-a-show combo in town.


Today around the world: February 9 is the Feast of St. Maron in Lebanon.


E-mail the Media Sensation: BandNameoftheDay@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home