Friday, January 16, 2004

01/16/04’s illustrious band:

Peanutbutter Sandals


Brought to you by Harry Norton, who was about 4 years old at the time.


Once upon a time in grad school, I knew a jolly Brit named Giles Norton. Giles was funny, outspoken, wicked smart, a good teacher, a terrific writer, a marathon runner, and the proud father of Harry and his little sister Georgina. He regaled us weekly with stories of the cute things his children had said and done.


The utterance of Harry's that stuck most in my mind was his name for Birkenstocks. He called them hand-knitted peanut butter sandals. That's as good as El Queso Grande's son crying, when he cut his knee, that his crust was broken.


Recalling the remark about the sandals reminded me of Giles and our grad school days, and I wondered whatever had become of him. A quick Google gave me some ideas. One site it led me to was a class-reunion-type page. It was for students of an English boarding school whose ages appeared to be a match for my old friend's. The Giles who posted notes on that site talked about running, which strengthened the resemblance.


Another link took me to the website of an important-looking company having something to do with timekeeping devices for races. The sports tie-in fit, even if the corporateness didn't, and the director of corporate communications was one Giles Norton. But I couldn't find a way to send a message directly to him.


So I went back to the school reunion site and dashed off a brief note to the host, Angus, explaining why I was looking for his chum Giles Norton. Then I went away and thought little more about it.


Three hours later I checked my e-mail again -- and there were notes from both Angus and Giles! Angus said he was sure we knew the same Giles and that he had forwarded my note to him. And Giles, having received the note, sent me one immediately.


How fantastic is that?


So I wrote back to Giles to tell him what I've been up to for the past 12+ years and to ask how he's been. I'm also curious to know whether he's in touch with any of our other classmates, for despite some efforts on my part, I am not. I'm eagerly awaiting his response. We might even talk on the phone, which I'm sure would be a hoot. I'll keep you posted.


Today around the world: January 16 is Religious Freedom Day in the United States of America. Amen!


E-mail the Media Sensation: BandNameoftheDay@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home