Thursday, May 15, 2003

05/15/03’s illustrious band:

Looking Back


Brought to you by a couple experiences I’ve had lately involving looking behind me.


The first is literal, unfortunately. While lunching with the Soup Group today, I placed a large envelope behind me in the chair. We sat outside for an hour or so, in the full noontime sun. When I rose to leave, the envelope was no longer in my chair. I spun around in a panic, thinking I had knocked it into the ornamental pond beneath the dining terrace. But my friends assured me, through snickers, that it was safe and sound, and firmly stuck to my behind. Guess I had that topic thoroughly covered.


The second instance of looking behind me involves the wild and wacky world of customer service. On April 24, I had the cracked windshield of my Sensational Automobile replaced. But the glass technician broke something in the high-tech rearview mirror that prevents the digital compass and auto-dimmer from functioning.


I called my insurance company back about it, and they called the auto glass company back about it. A week later (April 30), another auto glass tech came by to assess the situation. “Yep, it’s broken,” he said. (Don’t try this on your own cars, kids; this dude is a trained professional!) I asked him to schedule the repair, and he said he would.


It’s been two weeks now, and I cannot get the auto glass place to even call me back about whether the needed part has arrived, let alone schedule the actual work to be done. I have called the shop a few times a week -- always politely -- since April 30, and each time I receive a solemn promise that the Parts Guy will call me back as soon as he gets in. It hasn’t happened. I called twice today and got the same story again. The receptionist was helpless, and helpfulness-less.


It’s been three weeks now since my rearview mirror functioned fully, so I called the insurance company again and asked for the customer satisfaction department. The rep there said they’ve been following up with the glass people, who did after all break my mirror, and that the part should arrive sometime today. Since it was already 4:00 p.m. when I called, I was skeptical, but she assured me the shop takes deliveries until 7:00. Anyway, the customer service rep promised to call the glass shop first thing in the morning and then to call me back. I have a little more faith that the insurance person will call me back, but not that she will have gleaned useful information from the elusive Parts Guy.


So don’t ask me to look back. I can’t do it properly, and even when I try, I have a hard time finding what I need. Guess I’ll just have to remain focused on the future . . . and the phone.


E-mail the Media Sensation: jugglernaut@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home