Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Wherefore Art Thou

CONvergence 2005, Episode I. I spent half of the holiday weekend at CONvergence, a rather large science fiction/fantasy convention. Although I didn't go to any of the panel discussions, I did spend a lot of time walking around looking at things. Over the next few blog-days, I'll share some highlights.


Sci-fi/fantasy is the genre for people interested in exploring strange new worlds, so no con would be complete without an art (and craft) show — the drawer's/painter's/sculptor's/weaver's version of fanfic. Not being a visual artist myself, I don't feel qualified to comment much on the quality, but I can tell you that entries ran the gamut from impressive pro-quality work to "I've suffered for my art and now it's your turn." I saw, in no particular order:


  • the usual smeary pastel faeries and dragons
  • graphic art/comic book panels that were not only well drawn, but actually funny
  • stunning pencil sketches of Lord of the Rings characters
  • weavings depicting irrational transcendental numbers in color/graphic code form, according to the accompanying artist's note; I'll take her word for it
  • faux dinosaur fossils
  • mosaics composed of hundreds of tiny coils of colored paper lying on their sides, an art form called quilling (artists used to curl the paper strips around a feather quill)
  • numerous big-breasted elves: pencil, ink, computer-assisted, woodblock, batik, quilling . . . OK, I get it! You like pointed ears and perky boobs! MOVE ON ALREADY!
  • plump, round-eyed polymer clay wizard sculptures
  • fanciful bronzes with moving parts; just turn the crank
  • handknit scarves in Hogwarts house colors
  • velvet wizard hats
  • snakes made of chain mail. (Not chain letters, tiny metal rings hooked together like a chain link fence. You know, like armor.)
  • leather- and metalwork pieces of a Klingon ambassador costume
  • awful little stuffed kitties with greasy-looking wings
  • R-rated woodblock prints — all naked women, of course
  • anime wannabe illustrations
  • oil paintings of otherworldly landscapes
  • printouts of line drawings created on an electronic Etch-A-Sketch

The work is up for bids during the first two days of the con, with starting bid prices ranging from $5 to $1,500. The art show culminates in an auction on Saturday night. In addition to bidding on the art, viewers can vote on favorites in various categories. I've never attended the auction, since it starts before the Masquerade is over. There was nothing at this year's show I felt a need to bring into my home, but there was enough good stuff to draw me back next year.


Today around the world: July 5 is Tynwald Day on the Isle of Man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home