Thursday, July 14, 2005

What Say You

Brought to you by . . . you. Occasionally — very occasionally — people take a minute to answer questions I've posed. I appreciate it more than you think, so don't be shy. Anyway, I thought you might like to see what's been said in response to a couple recent posts.


1. Good Deed Dare (6/14/05). I asked readers to commit a random act of kindness and tell me about it anonymously.


  • bought a bike for a little boy whose father had just died


  • "When you see a couple taking turns getting their picture in front of a landmark...offer to take the picture for them, so that they may both be in it. That always puts a smile on people's faces."


  • brought homemade cinnamon rolls to neighbors on their first Christmas morning after a death in the family


  • "I paid the toll for the person behind me on the toll road."

I sincerely hope these are not the only good deeds done, only those that were mentioned. Please continue this project on your own, whether you tell me about it or not.


2. Who's On First? (6/17/05). What's okay to post in a blog or online journal and what's not? What happens if you cross the line?


  • The rules seem pretty simple to me.
    1. don't giveaway company secrets
    2. don't blog on company time unless you are being paid to do it.
    3. don't post pictures, or audio, or anything like this that will cause undue media attention.

    I'm not really sure about #3 but the people who have been dooced did something along these lines. There is also a big if in here. If your company environment does not seem to like change or new things it may be a lost cause. (David)


  • Along with the first amendment comes responsibility. Most Americans fail to realize this and use our Constitution to rationalize their irresponsible behavior.

    Otherwise, it's a great amendment. (Muzikdude)


  • I learned this lesson the hard way: no matter how anonymous you THINK your blog is, it can be discovered in any number of ways. And if it is, better be sure that you're willing to live with the consequences of what you write. I'm an HR professional, and sadly, bloggers don't have a whole lot of protection when it comes to writing negative stuff about their company. (Fortunately, blogging is still a relatively new phenomenon, and not a lot of higher-ups are aware of it.) I wrote some unkind things about relatives on my blog, and thought that it would never be seen by the subjects. Wrong. (Rugger Jay)

Cool, right? So let me hear from you again. Tell me one thing I'd never guess just from looking at you. (Here's one to get you started: I wasn't born in this country.)


Today around the world: July 14 is Bastille Day. Le huzzah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home