Thursday, February 24, 2005

Running into the Store


Brought to you by the marauding Subarushi.


Have you ever said, "I'll run into the store?" Well, a couple years ago, I did just that. With my car.


It was a Saturday morning in late winter or very early spring, depending on how you figure it. I had stopped at the gas station on the way to the studio to buy a Coke to fuel a morning of martial endeavors. When I came out, there were two fat men in bad suits staring at the Subarushi, which was nuzzling the front of the mattress store next door to the station. Its front bumper kissed the building a half-inch below the plate-glass front window.


"Miss, is this your car?" the fatter one asked as I approached. He seemed more bemused than angry, which I took as a good sign.


"Um, yes." I did not look much like a responsible citizen that morning: ponytail, moon boots, a parka filthy from a couple months of brushing up against dirty vehicles. Apparently I didn't drive like one, either. What the heck had I done?


"Well, I think you left it in gear. We heard this thunk and came out to look, and here's your car trying to get in."


Always eloquent under pressure, I replied, "Oh . . . crap. I am so sorry!"


"No harm done, I don't think," the second suit man said. "But it's a good thing you don't drive an SUV. A higher bumper would have shattered that window."


I paled at the thought. The finances of a modest Media Sensation are not conducive to replacing commercial storefronts. I had dodged a very big bullet. I apologized again.


I backed the car away and we inspected the scene of the crime. The metal flashing beneath the window was slightly dented in the center. Still is -- I've checked periodically. And my front bumper showed no signs of wear. So I shook hands with the businessmen and drove, very carefully, away.


Moral of the story: Go to the store. But don't run into it.


Does this count as an extraordinary act, or just an extraordinarily stupid one?


Anyway, thanks again to all who helped make me Blog Queen for a Day yesterday. I appreciate your kind remarks, and your sharing of extraordinary events in your lives.


Today around the world: February 24 is Flag Day in the U.S. and Mexico.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pink Poppy said...

Hey Chi Poppy! So...Queen for the Day, 'eh? Yep, that Michele has it ALL workin'. And, I finally have your link to The Poppy Club workin', too! It's obviously your lucky week... :) Well, I hope the rest of your week is wonderful, and your shopping trips uneventful....

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home