Monday, February 21, 2005

Spatula Biscuits


Brought to you by the Media Sensation's culinary acumen.


I made spatula biscuits over the weekend. "Spatula" is a secret ingredient not mentioned on the package my mix came in, but which I inadvertently added. The tip of my spatula broke off into the last wad of batter I scraped onto the baking sheet. I didn't notice the problem until the biscuits were half-baked (not unlike some of my other kitchen schemes) and I had begun to clean up. D'OUGH!


Fortunately, the rubber did not melt or scorch in the oven, and the untimely addition resulted in the demise of only one biscuit. And I located the missing piece visually, not orally, in case you were wondering.


So, on to less icky things! Many thanks to those who wrote back to share more extraordinary acts by ordinary people (and special thanks to those who included your humble narrator on their lists). My friends know people who have:


  • visited the 48 continental United States on a motorcycle not once but twice, on two different bikes (Big Rog and Little Phyl)


  • spit from atop the Leaning Tower of Pisa, back in the day when tourists could still go up (Chef Jeff)


  • had the misfortune of being on hand to witness two fatal heart attacks in two different gyms during the past few months (Burt Clown)


  • served on the U.S.S. Arizona during WW II and also cobbled together one of the first washing machines seen in Japan (Grandpa W)


  • built their own house in Maine (Blueberry and Kyle)


  • volunteered at a nursing home every Tuesday, putting smiles on all the residents' faces (Arlo, Wild Rice's canine companion)


  • flown one of only 48 remaining WW II B-17 bombers (Senor Editor)


  • accidentally blown off Jerry Garcia as he was offering to help set microphones (also Senor Editor, sadly)


  • jumped out of a perfectly good airplane 10,000 feet above the Florida Keys (Merry)


  • had Jon Bon Jovi buy him a beer (Fuzzball)


  • had breakfast with Capt. Kirk (Senor Editor)


Keep 'em coming! It's never a bad time to hear about groovy things people have done. Except maybe when they involve spatula bits in the biscuit mix.


Today around the world: February 21 is Family Day in Alberta, Canada, President's Day in the U.S., and the birthday of King Harald V in Norway.

26 Comments:

Blogger Aura said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Aura said...

(oops, sorry about the previous comment, I screwed it up so I had to delete it...hehe)

RE: "dip in the naughty pool" - yeah, I know right! Describes the Boys perfectly, especially Kevin. By the way, I added new pictures to the latest entries that I made, and there's a new concert/m&g entry as well. :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

My contribution to extraordinary acts by ordinary people:

Many of my virtual friends inspire me daily with their humour, compassion, honesty, and willingess to share a part of their day-to-day life. Yes, this is an extraordinary act.

Would you like to meet a few of them? I am quite certain they would like to meet YOU.

Hello, Michele sent me. Tag, you are it.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Hello, Michele sent me!

And I haven't done much that is all that exciting or unusual...although I have crawled on my belly through "wild" caves. Nothing like exploring a cave with a flashlight and other supplies. And boy the cleanup afterwards. I swear I had mud and bat guano in my nose and ears and fingernails for weeks!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hello, Michele sent me. I loved 'D'OUGH'!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

oops, sorry, hit the button too soon... ordinary people, extraordinary things: my grandfather survived three years in a German prisoner-of-war camp in WWII.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Thumper said...

:::Waves::: hi, Michele sent me.

I've never done anything extraordinary. Well, unless beating the holy snot out of some guy I thought was about to attack me counts. And beating the holy snot out of someone who tried to snatch my kid when he was 2 months old. I need to stop beating the holy snot out of people... It's probably quite rude.

Jerry Van Dyke once bought my mom lunch. If that counts... ;)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Hello, Michele sent me!!

Garth Brooks brought my husband a sandwich!

1:53 AM  
Blogger Alda said...

Hi, Michele sent me! Your site has set me thinking about the definition of 'extraordinary'. By whose standards? I've done so many extraordinary things in light of my own limitations, that might not seem so fantastic to anyone else!

[Sorry to wax so philosophical on my first visit! Lovely site...} :)

4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! Michele sent me....
You've got me racking my brain for the extraordinary....ohh, how boring of me.... nup, can't think of anything....

4:23 AM  
Blogger theaddict said...

Did you know that here in Australia a biscuit is a cookie? Just trivia for ya. And hello, michele sent me.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Mamacita (The REAL one) said...

Michele sent me but I'll be back on my own, a LOT. Your blog is wonderful! Fame? I have none, for I am a walking definition of boring and ordinary; however, Bobby Knight once asked me to dance, and we did.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

michele sent me.. but she doesn't know i've come here..
speaking of amazing things, ever walked in front of a charging rhino ?
neither have i. :-P

6:54 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Well, I just can't think of anything at all extraordinary at all....but.....

Hello, Michele sent me!

Great site!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

Michele sent me!

I participated in "Hands Across America" back in 1986. Ok, you can stop laughing now.

7:43 AM  
Blogger LindseyO said...

Howdy! I don't have a lot in the way of extraordinary stuff, but maybe this will count: once, I saw Monica Lewinsky walking down the street in Greenwich Village, talking on a cell phone.

By the way, Michele sent me...

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, Michele sent me & I'm so glad she did.

As for extraordinary things... I'm dull, boring and have nothing to report. Sorry, but a great idea. Fun & interesting!

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what does baked spatula taste like?

hello michele sent me

8:33 AM  
Blogger Jugglernaut said...

Welcome one and all! Thanks for taking time to comment on BND. And don't sell yourselves short on achieving the extraordinary; if you weren't extraordinary, you wouldn't know Michele, right? :-)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

OK, yes, Michele did send me, but I can't think of anything extraordinary that I've done.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

Here's an act: Played Fiddle On The Roof on a violin on at least 20 different roofs over the ast 10 years!

Hi there...Michele sent me. Boy am I glad she did! great blog. I'll be back.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Babette said...

I had eleven children and didn't lose my marbles.

Michele sent me--you are a riot!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Nanntz said...

Hi, Michele sent me! Love what you've done with the place...
Extraordinary, eh? Well, let's see....I once attended a party in Kansas City at which Alice Cooper, Elton John and Minnie Ripperton were all in attendance, as well as the members of the Steve Miller Band. Does that count?

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

firstly eyeing the guiness book of records - locking lips for 31 hrs... have plans to make it 40-50.
secondly convincing someone to share the record with me.

Hello Michele Sent Me. The tag is is important. Its not just a tag, its an invit for you to be a part of us. please, visit us@micheleagnew.com, find answer to oh-so-wondefully-carved questions, and tag all those exceptional blogs out-there on our behalf.
hey, some of the questions are trick questions. but sshhh.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Hello, Michele sent me! I love the spatula biscuit story!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

The only extraordinary thing that I can think of that happened to me is that I ate lunch with Muhammed Ali when I was about 10 years old. (1981) My parents and I were at the galleria in Houston, TX and he was at the same restaurant that we were at. He came up to my Dad and made a comment on how cute of a little girl I was and then he asked us to eat lunch with him. I've never considered myself an extraordinary cute kid but I guess he saw something specail in me. After eating with him he gave me his autograph which I misplaced a long time ago. :o(

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home