Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Bird in Hand

Brought to you by a glimpse of the future.


My future boss at the HMO called bright and early this morning, interrupting Sprite's post-shower back scratching orgy. I picked up when I saw the telltale name on caller ID — so now he knows I'm home on a weekday morning. I hope that’s not a bad thing.


“Sorry I didn't send you that e-mail with the offer yesterday,” he said. “Just finalizing a few things with HR and whatnot.”


“No problem,” I replied. I didn't spend the day hovering over my laptop tearing my hair out or moaning on the phone to my mother or anything. But said he’d send it this morning, and he did. The written offer is going into the mail today as well. I replied with a list of references. HR will initiate their check into my checkered past, and there you go. Simple — almost. Provided all goes well, I’ll start at the HMO November 7.


Rather than wait around today, I was planning to hightail it out of here ASAP, return my videos, run an errand to the Darth Maul for a friend of Mother Media's, and head east to cruise the St. Croix looking at leaves before they all blow away. I was determined, actually, since I wanted to do it yesterday but spent my time pacing and fretting instead. This morning’s little dance delayed my departure a bit. And that's OK.


Further delay occurred when I broke my wireless network by hooking the PC up to the modem, which apparently prefers to remain monogamous with the iBook. D’OH! An hour on the phone with a highly competent Mac tech fixed that, however, and I am back in business all around. Whew!


BTW, yesterday I received notice that I did indeed qualify for unemployment benefits, which would pay at a rate of about 2/3 my previous salary for about 26 weeks (less if I opted to have taxes withheld, which I did). I also checked more thoroughly into my assets and found that I could have coasted for more than a year on them alone. It would have been fine. Will be if I need it to be.


This week I should also receive a letter from the FBO asking what I want to do with the money I had invested in the nonprofit version of a 401(k). It's only six months' worth, so I'm going to cash it out. I'll put it toward paying off the iBook.


It feels very, very good to have these things sorted out, decided, and under control. Under my control. I’m glad it took no longer than it did. Now I am officially on vacation rather than unemployed.


So there.


Today around the world: October 18 is Alaska Day in the U.S. I’m assuming this refers to the state, not the baked/frozen dessert. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home