Tuesday, October 26, 2004

10/26/04’s illustrious band:

Car Trek


Brought to you by today’s guest bloggers, Mother Media and Senor Editor, who have much to add to yesterday’s discussion of vehicle names.




Says Mother Media:


You forgot to mention the spotlight on the top of the Electric Lemon. I hated that vehicle. It embarrassed me, but it made a lot of fishing trips & hauled a lot of firewood, which was its job description. It also hauled a couple Christmas trees & is responsible for making me wet my pants while sliding sideways down Redwater Hill when one of the tire chains snapped. Ugh!


Dad's [that would be Father Media’s] first new car purchase was the red 1963 Chevy Impala that he called Pegasus, finally a vehicle that would go fast without flaw – ‘til the canvas convertible top ripped away from the frame on our honeymoon to South Dakota. I've never been so sunburned.


[You] also reminded me that the only car I've ever had my name only on the title of is the one I'm driving right now.




Let's see, says Senor Editor. Since I've owned almost 30 cars in the past 21 years (yep, that's more than 1 a year), here are my favorites:



  • Ariki: my tiny little Honda CRX, Japanese for "Hummingbird Spirit"


  • Urial: my earth-brown Mazda RX-7, named for the Angle of Death -- if you ever rode in the thing in the rain, you'd understand, as it fishtailed like crazy


  • Delaney: my recently-departed Ford Ranger, named for Jimmy Buffett's youngest daughter


  • Quark: the Volkswagen Quantum my Ex and I owned (I was into Quantum Leap, what can I say)


  • Russell the Zippy Jellybean: an appallingly ugly 1975 Audi Fox, named by a friend of mine


  • Baby: my 1980 Monte Carlo limited edition Grand Touring Coupe


  • Rhiannon: my 1984 Dodge Daytona (I had a thing for Stevie Nicks in high school)


  • Spider: my 1964 Corvair Monza


  • Jezebel: my black 1992 Jeep Wrangler


  • I've been forced to rename the Bronco to Gremlin 'cause it has so many electrical quirks that I'm forced to believe that a whole group of gremlins lives in the vehicle somewhere.


  • My 1993 custom Harley was named Phooka, a Celtic spirit that appears as a pony that beckons you to climb aboard, but then delights in throwing the unwary rider into the ditch.





Gracias, Mama y Senor! What are the rest of you driving?


Today around the world: October 26 is St. Demetrius Day in Bulgaria.


E-mail the Media Sensation: BandNameoftheDay@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home