Tuesday, March 02, 2004

03/02/04’s illustrious band:

Snooze


Brought to you by whoever invented the snooze button for the alarm clock.


I love the snooze button. This is the magical switch that gives me nine more minutes under the covers on a cold, wet prespring morning. Those nine stolen minutes, a gift to myself that puts off leaving the nest just a little longer, are the sweetest moments of the day. The pillow is just right, the blankets are just right, the light coming in through the window is just right. The cat that has been doing the breakfast march across my head for the past half-hour will settle down to snuggle and sleep during snooze time. Even if I’ve lain awake all night, even if I really need to go to the bathroom, even if I’m looking forward to a good day, I always sleep soundly through those last-chance snooze minutes. I’ve sometimes considered setting my alarm clock an hour early just so I can have the pleasure of hitting the snooze button nine or 10 times. Snoozing is my way of telling the world of responsibility, “Not yet. You can’t have me yet. For nine more minutes, I’m still the boss.”


I have a snooze function on my electronic task list at work that I value at least as much as the one on the alarm clock. I’ll program a pop-up reminder for hours, days, or even weeks before I really need to get something done, for two reasons. One is, again, simply to have the pleasure of delaying it and starting the project on my own terms. The other is a little more productive: Every time the reminder pops up, I’m reminded of the task, even if just for a second, and can put my subconscious to work on it. That way, when it comes time to truly complete something, I will already have done half the work in my head without fretting over it.


Which just goes to show that hitting the snooze button makes you more productive. I think we should all do more of it.


Today around the world: March 2 is Ashoura for followers of Islam. This day marks the anniversary of the death of Imam Hussein, a spiritual leader of the Shiite sect. Hussein, grandson of the prophet Mohammed, was murdered by a corrupt caliph whom he refused to recognize as the legitimate leader of the Islamic community. Hussein knew that his unwillingness to pledge allegiance to this caliph would cost him his life, and he left Medina so that his blood would not soil such a holy place. At Kerbala, on the bank of the Euphrates River in modern Iraq, the caliph’s men besieged and killed Hussein and his followers. Although Hussein died, his courageous stand inspired his community to return to pure Islam and not tolerate unworthy and unfaithful leaders.


Shiites today commemorate this tragedy by shedding blood to demonstrate their faith, like Hussein did for his people. Most Shiites around the world merely hit themselves rhythmically in the chest as a symbol of the larger Shiite community’s shame for not going to help Imam Hussein when he stood against an overwhelming enemy, but in Nabatieh, Lebanon, the self-punishment has been exaggerated to include a graphic display of blood and gore.


March 2 is also Texas Independence Day. Texas declared its independence on March 2, 1836, and existed as the Republic of Texas, until joining the United States on December 29, 1845.


E-mail the Media Sensation: BandNameoftheDay@hotmail.com

Visit the BND archives at http://jugglernaut.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home