Thursday, August 22, 2002

Today's illustrious band:

Elbow Licker



Brought to you by Mother Media, who forwarded me yet another e-mail on the subject of Weird Things You'd Never Know.

I always read every line of those trivia-filled messages making the electronic rounds. Did you know that a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one can figure out why? That elephants can't jump? Or that it's physically impossible to lick your elbow? Were you aware that women blink nearly twice as often as men, or that nothing rhymes with "month"? Polar bears are left-handed, you know, and snails can sleep for up to 3 years at a time.

I've had the trivia bug for as long as I can remember. I read encyclopedias and dictionaries for fun in grade school and leafed through big books of facts wherever I could find them. I lettered in knowledge bowl in high school — was team captain, in fact. Trivial Pursuit became my favorite board game as soon as it hit the shelves in the mid-1980s. The other mouthy know-it-alls I hung around with loved it, too. Is it any coincidence that "Revenge of the Nerds" ranked among our favorite movies? The Internet was made for information dilettantes like me.

You tried to lick your elbow, didn't you. Me too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home