Wednesday, August 10, 2005

It's Just Lunch Sad

Brought to you once again by my dating-impaired state.


Remember the other day when I carried on about (not) dating, and about a dating service called It's Just Lunch? Enough people (OK, El Queso Grande) encouraged me to check it out that I entered my name and phone number on the IJL web site to request a call back. A briskly perky young woman named Jackie left me a voice message within a few hours, and I called her back during my lunch hour on Tuesday.


The news about IJL is mostly good. The service is, as advertised, highly personalized. A prospective client meets with an IJL rep for an hour-long interview, during which the client's wish list is filled out in detail. The rep then sets to work matching the new client up with someone already on the rolls. The rep calls you with some first names (no last names) and descriptions within a few days, and you pick one. IJL makes a reservation for the two of you for lunch or after-work drinks. All you have to do is show up.


Your membership fee guarantees a minimum of 14 first dates over the course of a year. Jackie told me that 70% of IJL first dates lead to second dates. She also said that the majority of her clients are white-collar professionals like myself, many with advanced degrees, and that my preferred age range is rife with eager, eligible bachelors. Jackie's office is mere blocks from mine. She offered to meet me over lunch (duh) or after work some night this week. My nose started to twitch.


But there's some bad news, too: It's Just $1,500. Well, they're running a special summer promotion right now, so It's Just $1,300 for a one-year membership. Still, since I just repaired the fence at Sensational Acres, that's about $1,250 more than I have to spare right now — and, frankly, about $1,275 more than I'm willing to shell out.


So what's a dateless wonder Media Sensation to do?


The jury, unlike me, is still out to lunch on that one. My friend Kelly Green offered to find me a southern gentleman when I visit Dixie next month. That sounds nice. Meeting a guy in my own time zone would be even nicer, but I guess I'm not in a position to be choosy. Until that happens, I think it's time for a Kevin Kline/Vince Vaughn film festival at the Acres.


Photos today? probably


Today around the world: August 10 is Qiangtang Kyagqen Horse Racing Festivals in Tibet. Where are those studs when I need one?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home