Thursday, August 18, 2005

Ignorancy

Brought to you by a lady on the train with a cell phone.


"I ain't got no time for ignorancy," the lady proclaimed loudly. I snuck a peek at her reflected expression in the window. She appeared to be speaking without irony.


A gem like that makes the whole trip worthwhile.


While a search of the Internet for "ignorancy" will yield multiple hits, a search of a dictionary will not, which just goes to show that there's room for everything in cyberspace, including ignorancy, irregardless* of correctness.


Same goes for "disgustment." Senor Editor once received a letter from a reader who was uncomfortable with some of the images published in the magazine. He sent along several of the offending pages, with an "example of disgustment" clearly labeled on each. (Mr. Reader was offended by what he felt were homoerotic photographs. It's a home improvement magazine. The "focus on the pelvic region" that concerned him so occurred in shots of the handyman model working on something at a waist-level workbench. Fully clothed. In some, he's even wearing a shop apron.)


Those are my two favorite made-up words. Got any to add?




* Irony intended! I KNOW that's not a word, OK?


Photos today? NO. MMS network is down AGAIN. I am NOT AMUSED.


Today around the world: August 18 is still part of the Montserrat Annual Pilgrimage.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite is "ironical."

-Kerner

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like "Tragical"...

I also heard this recently:

"Are you a predator or are you a prey?"

...am I wrong, or is that not used right?

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home